This page outlines the duties of the meeting Chairperson.
Summary of the Chairperson role
- Organises and manages the meeting.
- Confirms the speakers rostered for that night.
- Confirms the speech evaluators.
- Confirms the other meeting roles e.g. Grammarian, Timekeeper.
- Prepares the agenda.
- Introduces a theme for the meeting.
- Keeps the meeting running to time.
- Ensure the venue is left clean and tidy at the end of the meeting.
Before the meeting
- One week before the meeting email Club members to remind them of their scheduled role.
- If speakers are not available ask for volunteer speakers.
- Contact the VP Education if no speakers are available. They may be able to run a Club educational session.
- Check and arrange for any special equipment required by any of the speakers.
- All members (except those with speaking roles) are responsible for organising their own replacements. They should tell the chairperson of the replacement.
- Prepare the agenda. Use the template in the Meeting Resources section. Allow time for speaker introduction as well as speech.
- Allow one minute extra on each item (for example allow eight minutes for a seven minute speech).
- Select a meeting theme.
- Email the final agenda to Club members.
- Print or photocopy at least 20 copies of the agenda.
Before people arrive
- Arrive at least 20 minutes before the start of the meeting.
- Set up chairs, visitors book and chairperson table.
- Help the meeting Host greet any guests.
- Place an agenda on each chair for people to pick up on arrival.
At the start of the meeting
- Start the meeting on time.
- Greet everyone and introduce the theme of the meeting.
- Outline any last minute changes to the meeting agenda.
- Give a general overview of the meeting including number of speakers.
During the meeting
- Manage the flow of the meeting
- Provide continuity between speakers.
- Lead the applause between speakers.
- Keep an eye on the time. Ensure that the meeting is progressing through the agenda as planned.
After the break
- Restart the meeting on time.
At the end of the meeting
- Help farewell guests.
- Help make sure that the room is left clean and tidy.