This page outlines the duties of the Timekeeper.
Summary of the Timekeeper role
- Operates the lights that tell speakers how much time is taken.
- Make notes of actual times taken.
- Report on timing issues at the end of the meeting.
Before the meeting
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early, so you can be set up before the meeting starts.
- Ensure that you have lights, stop-watch, a copy of the agenda and a pen to record speaker times.
- Ensure that you know how to operate the lights and timer.
During the meeting
- Listen to the introductions to confirm the time targets.Ask for clarification if timing is not clear from introduction or agenda.
- green light at “minimum” time
- orange at “target” time
- red light at “maximum” time.
- Record the times of all the introductions, speeches, general business and evaluations.
At the end of the meeting
- Decide upon your own format for reporting.
- If time is short give a quick report on the main speakers.
- If there is more room add remaining times to give a fuller report.